Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

We just installed a fireman's safety switch to our pool

Customer Question
Hi! We just installed...
Hi! We just installed a fireman's safety switch to our pool timer. However, instead of the pool heater turning off about 15-20 min before the pool pump, they are turning off simultaneously. What are we doing wrong?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
3/26/2016
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago
Steven Parent

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try and assist you.

Before you installed the safety switch, how did the timer function?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are two pins that you attach onto the timer to set the start and end time.
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok, and what was it controlling, the pump or the heater?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Steve. It was controlling the pump.
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok, and this new safety switch is just in series with the timer? How would you like it to function?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We want it to turn off the heater 15-20 min before the pump.
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago

Do you have a 2nd timer? Or does your current timer have multiple settings?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just one timer.
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago

And it runs the pump for 15-20 minutes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. We can set how long we want the pump to run.http://www.intermatic.com/en/products/pool_and_spa/accessories_and_enclosures/accessories/time_switch_parts/fireman_switch
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok, and what do you have it wired to?

Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago

You only want the switch to interrupt the heater circuit, not on the pump side of the timer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's wired as shown in the attached diagram.
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok so you've got it wired correctly then. Is the switch mounted onto the timer correctly, 20 minutes before the off time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I think that is the part I'm not clear about.http://www.swimming-pool-information.com/pool-pump-timers.htmlThe top one is what our timer looks like. You'll see the two pins that you use to set the on and off for the pool pump.
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago

Well I think there is only one place for it to mount to, but you have to slide it into position, so that it switches before the off set point makes it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could you provide a drawing?
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago

I don't have anything, but the intermatic instruction, which I'm sure you've already seen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry but I don't understand how to set up the timer so that the heater goes off first. The heater and pump are going off simultaneously.
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago

The switch is opening with the off setpoint right now. It needs to be installed so that it opens before the off setpoint makes it. I will opt out and allow another expert to weigh in.

Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Install the switch on the timer as the installation instructions indicate. The wires are connected to the ignition wires on the heater. The fireman's switch will trip 15/min by the off tripper ahead of tripping the line to the pump.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Mike. Thanks for your comment but we decided that we just disconnect the switch and do it manually.

I strongly suggest completing the installation for safety and several other benefits. The switch mounts to the right bottom of the timer baseplate. The wires are connected to the wire in the heater. You cut the ignition wire and attach the switch leads to the two cut ends. It's that simple.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician