Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Looking to run power to my cabin from my house plan on

Customer Question
burying line without conduit. I...
Looking to run power to my cabin from my house plan on burying line without conduit. I will have a 220 air unit as well as online water heater on a 220 then just general light swiyches. Only two room cabin. What wire would you recomend
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
3/24/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Let me advise you that not using a PVC conduit would be a mistake. Ground conditions over a period of time could cause a failure. You'll need to envelope the feeder in 6 inches of sand if you don't use a conduit. The cost and the labor more than justify using conduit. Having said that, how long is the run? What size service is in the house?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Run is 900 ft. Only two rooms but will have in line water heater on 220 and window ac unit on 220

I ran the calculation and to have a 60A feeder you would need a 500MCM Aluminum wire. It may be better to install a transformer at each end to reduce the wire size. Using a pair of 480V transformers will reduce the wire size to 4/0 Aluminum. A quad URD cable either in or not in conduit is the wire type.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks that's what I am going to do. Thought I would use 4 ought wire and if low amp then add the transformers to it

Very good, you're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician