How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phil Your Own Question
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 8529
Experience:  Retired electrical contractor, 51 years experience.
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Phil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The total load house is greater than 100A. The cable run

Customer Question

Hello . I'm Daniel.
The total load for a house is greater than 100A. The cable run from supply head ( atm 60A) to consumer units located inside house is a 3 core 25mm SWA. Can i order a 3 phase supply and use just 2 of them to the consumer unit ? Thx.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, 3 phase requires that the utility company fit a 3 phase transformer on the pole (or in their vault), you will pay more for the service, and gain nothing because you still have the same wire size limitations and 100amp panel limitations.

It is most likely possible that you can increase your panel size to 150 or 200 amps with the utilities approval (depends on which pole transformer they have in place and how many other houses are on it etc.)

If you choose to rate that answer positively, I will be able to afford to go more in depth with you on this. I work at my own considerable expense otherwise.

Let me know, accept and we can go for an hour, or ask me to opt out and other of our experts here might choose to pick up your question.

Related Electrical Questions