Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Ok, I'm going to start this thread up again... I am trying…

Customer Question
Ok, I'm going to start...
Ok, I'm going to start this thread up again...
I am trying to see if there is a way to modify a 7000is as it is done for the film industry. In this industry, these generators have been modified with a 60 amp female bates connector. Am I correct in assuming that this connector has the full 45 amp load capability that has been discussed here? If so, then how are they achieving this if you say it is not possible?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 day by:
3/25/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I don't understand your question. If you have a connector rated at 60A it will handle a 45A load. Am I missing something?

I'm trying to find a way to modify the Honda eu7000is to output its max load capacity through a single bates connector Without compromising any of its features.

I suggest making up a cheater. Put a male connector as required by the generator and a female as required for your use on a cord sized for 60A. This way you won't modify the generator.

Can't pull 47 amps out of a 30 amp plug.
I want to modify the generator... I am an electrical engineer fully qualified to perform the job given the right direction.
The nature of your question makes me opt out. Stand by for another expert.
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) 1st off, modifying a generator is never recommended. It will not only void the generator warranty, but will also result in a violation of the National Electrical Code.

2) The only way I see to obtain the 47 amps is to purchase an identical generator and install the Honda parallel kit that is available for this gen set.

Are you aware this Honda model gen set is capable of being paralleled and double the output using a 2nd gen set? Then, as the previous expert suggested, make up a cheater cord.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Thanks................Kevin:)

Thanks................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor