How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steven Parent Your Own Question
Steven Parent
Steven Parent,
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 69
Experience:  Journeymen Electrician at Harvey's Electric Industrial Maintenance & Contracting Ltd.
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Steven Parent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A plug and play hot tub. It runs on one 110V but is capable

Customer Question

I'm Installing a plug and play hot tub. It runs on one 110V but is capable of converting to 220V, which is what I'm wanting to do because it turns a 1 kW heater into a 4 kW heater and will operate more efficiently. It It has a pump that is 1.5 horsepower. The main electrical panel is approximately 50' away. What size circuit breaker should I use? I am aware that it needs to be a GFI breaker as well.
additional info: QCA Spa (Dream series) in.k200 Spa Pak Model#OHSS
SERIAL #16021513
Control-Gecko vs300
Spa #-170901010000137010
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** evening. Is this an indoor or outdoor spa? Does it come with a remote panel and wiring? Or what does it have for connections?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an indoor/outdoor 2 person tub. We are using it outside. It came with a 180" cord plug in cord for a 110v wall socket. I've already spoken with the spa manufacturer about how to wire for 220v. I just had to remove a jumper wire and the cord that came with it. I am going to hardwire it. There is a terminal for line 1, line 2, neutral and ground. I need to know what size breaker so I can pull the appropriate size wire
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Well you would probably want to go with a 30amp breaker and 3 conductor #10 wire, red/black/white and a ground. So you would have to install a standard 2 pole 30a breaker in your main panel, and feed a spa panel minimum 5 feet away and in sight of the spa. Inside the spa panel will be your 2 pole gfci breaker which will feed the spa. Also out of that panel you will need a 120v gfci outlet that is 10-20 feet away.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is exactly what I did already! I just wasn't sure if 30 amp was enough and I keep hearing different answers. The only thing I didn't do was the 120v gfci outlet out of the same box. There is another outlet within 10', will that do or does it have to come from the same circuit as the spa? What is the reason for it? Sump pump?
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 1 year ago.

Oh ok perfect then. The 120v outlet does not need to come out of that spa panel, sometimes it is just handy. Your outside plug may already be gfci protected, if not, just change it. Basically a convenience plug i think, for maintenance, radio or lights or whatever.

You said your spa is 4kw, so 4000Watts divide by 220 volt = 18.2amps. A 30 amp feed gets the job done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome! Thank you very much
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

Expert:  Steven Parent replied 1 year ago.

Hello my friend, if there is nothing else you need and everything is to your satisfaction please don't forget to accept and rate. Thanks.

Related Electrical Questions