Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a 2 pole 7 amp breaker that i meed to connecct a

Customer Question
subpanel in a shed. But...
I have a 2 pole 7 amp breaker that i meed to connecct a subpanel in a shed. But i already have 10/2 wire. Can i use a jumper at both locations? Or can i use the white for the 2nd hot and no nuetral? 70amo not 7
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
3/20/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) 10 AWG copper wire is rated for a maximum of 30 amps. If connecting 10 AWG copper to a 70 amp double pole breaker, this will result in overfusing, a code violation as well as safety issues.

2) A 70 amp feeder circuit requires a minimum of 4 AWG Copper or 2 AWG aluminum depending upon the distance from the main panel out to the sub-panel due to voltage drop reasons.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If i use a 30amp single pole instead, can i use 2 15 amps or 2 10 amp in the subpanel. Is this enough for one to power some outlets and the otther power some lights?

Thanks for the replies.

1) A sub-panel feeder circuit requires a double pole circuit breaker installed in the main panel which has a common trip handle. Single pole breakers are not used as feeder circuits.

2) If installing a 30 amp double pole breaker, this can accommodate two 15 amp circuits at the sub-panel. Yes, two 15 amp circuits is sufficient to provide power to receptacles and lighting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
with 10/2 wire and a 2 pole breaker, would i use the White as a 2nd hot and no nuetral? Or a jump wire on the 30 amp 2 pole?

1) A sub-panel requires a combination of 120 and 240 volts. Therefore, the sub-panel feeder circuit requires 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment grounding conductor from the main panel extending out to the sub-panel. All sub-panel feeders are required to be a 4 wire circuit.

2) Can't use 10/2 cable as it lacks one conductor. You need 10/3 cable which also contains a bare copper ground wire to comprise the required 4 wire circuit. The 10/3 black and red will be used for the 2 hots, the white will be used for the neutral and the bare copper will be used for the equipment grounding conductor.

1) I just re-read your question as the sub-panel will be located in a shed.

2) NM Romex cable is not allowed on exterior and/or underground conditions since it is not rated for wet conditions. If installing an underground sub-panel feeder circuit, you need either UF (Underground Feeder cable) or gray electrical PVC conduit or rigid metal conduit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I gray pvc. I read somewhere 10/2 was ok, routed and baried, but wanted to double check. Is there a fix i can do without digging everything?

If you installed gray electrical Sch. 40 PVC, you need to install 4 individual conductors, all type "THWN" rated for wet conditions. The "W" stands for wet rating.

Minimal burial depth below final grade is 18" for gray PVC conduit.

It is a violation of the National Electrical Code to install NM Romex cable in wet or damp or underground conditions. NM Romex is not rated for wet conditions and the exterior cable insulation and/or wire insulation may fail and deteriorate over time.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Conduit is up to spec. Its made for wet weather and to be buried. So should i pull everything up and use 14/3 or 10/3 wiring?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or is there another fix?

Leave the conduit installed, as it is the best form of installing any circuit. Then install 4 separate conductors.........ie........ 1 black, 1 red, 1 white and 1 green, all insulated type "THWN" rated and 10 AWG copper.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor