Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a new rebuilt post and beam barn and what is the best

Customer Question

i have a new rebuilt post and beam barn and what is the best way to install the electricity in the loft area which will be part of an art studio--could the wires run along the floor and then the boxes at the base of a beam or up the beam
thank you
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Will any portion of the barn be used for animals such as poultry or livestock? Any hay and/or combustible dust present in the barn area?

2) Or will the barn area and loft be converted strictly for residential office space?

3) Does the barn contain a sub-panel or do you currently have electricity to the barn?

4) Will the barn and/or loft area contain any additional electrical loads other than general lighting and wall receptacles?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Currently have electricity to the barn..no animals or hay..just need general lighting and wall receptacles..not sure of placement to not detract from the joinery
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) You have a couple of wiring options and some items to take into consideration.

A) 1st off, if you ever decide to sell the property and the next owner decides to turn the barn back into a real agricultural barn for animals, hay storage, etc. then either Gray electrical PVC Schedule 40 conduit or possibly rigid metal conduit would be required due to animal vapors, corrosion, dust, hay, wash-down areas, etc. If this is a possibility, you would need to confirm the acceptable wiring methods with your local electrical inspector. Keep in mind that local electrical codes can always take precedence over the National Electrical Code. The local electrical inspector always has the final say-so.

Also keep in mind that this is a barn and a future home buyer will most likely retain a state licensed home inspector and the inspector would write up the barn as not being up to code compliancy if the next home owner decides to turn the barn back to a working agricultural barn. The NEC has specific requirements on agricultural buildings, thus the reason I mention these items that need to be considered:)

B) In general, if the loft area will strictly be used for office space, then I recommend installing Metal Clad cable (type MC). The MC cable will need to be protected from any possible damage such as stapled to the wall studs and the wall stud area covered by drywall or paneling, etc. The MC cable can also be secured directly to the ceiling beams and protected where required to prevent any future damage to the cable. Installing MC cable near the floor area would require some form of protecting the cable.......ie........ boxing the cable with 2" x 4" wood or some other form of protection.

Reply back and let me know if this helps and I can answer any other questions you may have..........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)