Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

First question is I has two light switches seemed to be

Customer Question

first question is I has two light switches seemed to be controlling the same light fixture...so I took out one and now the light fixture is not working all together.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: and adjoining bathroom light isn't working either after I pulled out the light switch.
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: That's about it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Tell me the way the switches were wired. I need to know the number and colors of the wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have black, white, and red wires attached to the old light switch
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

The wire that was on the black screw is the common and when attached to only one of the others will allow the other switch to work. The unused wires should be capped.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I removed one of light switches, my ceiling light is not working. Also, nearby bathroom lights. Are you telling me that I should open up other switches and remove one of the wires? I don't see black screws. This old light switch has two brass like colored screws and one copper like (lighter color).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I remove black wire from other light switches that is not working and cap it?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Not necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't understand your first answer and trying to understand what you meant by it. To remedy my situation where I removed the common light switch that caused light fixture not working as well as nearby lights. It would be nice if you can make it more understandable for a novice. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

If you have 2 switches controlling a light they are 3 way switches. The way they work it a common wire is switched between 2 traveler wires. Onel one will be hot depending on the switch position. At the second switch you have the 2 travelers and as stated only one is hot depending of the first switch. At the second switch the common is hot depending on the position of the switch. The action between the switches allows for turning on or off the light from either switch. By removing one of the switches and wanting to operate the light from the remaining switch, you connect the common (on the black screw) with one of the travelers (on the gold screws). The unused wire is capped.