Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have power to the light .. but it will not work ... 2

Customer Question
black wire and two white...
I have power to the light .. but it will not work ... 2 black wire and two white wires go to the box... the power or hot black goes the the light fixture first..
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Tried to install a new light... could not get it to work... so I went back to the old... I have a hot black going to the light box... that is connected to a black that goes to the switch.... then I connect the white from the switch to the copper screw on the light and the other white the is on the same cable as the hot black I connect to the sliver screw on the light fixture
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: no
JA: Our top Electrician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Electrician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Electrician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
3/11/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No..I have voltage sensor tool
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I took the old like down..2 black were connected to each other and the whites went to the light...I tried to reinstall the old light with the same set up but it does not work

That tester will only indicate there is a hot wire, but doesn't show a good neutral. To troubleshoot anything electrical a 2 wire tester is the basic tester. They are available at any home center for around $20.00.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.. So if i
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I pick up one of those what am I looking for then

I suggest a Volt/Con type tester. Easiest to use. Test the black to white on the feed wires to see if you have 120V. Then test black to ground. If no reading on the first test, you have an open neutral connection ahead of the light. If changing the fixture was because it didn't work, the problem wasn't the fixture to begin with.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the fixture worked fine... we were just changing to a nicer fixture

OK, before getting a tester try one thing. Remove the wires on the switch, put them together to see if the switch is bad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No .. no luck

You have an open neutral. The tester will verify that being the problem. Start with a test and I'll assist with finding where the problem is. Let me know when you're ready to continue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok... will have to go buy a tester later today..

Very good.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician