Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a 3UG73D heater had apower outage and low voltage,

Customer Question
I have a 3UG73D...

I have a 3UG73D heater had apower outage and low voltage, now it does not work.

Contractor's Assistant: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

It has power but does not heat up.

Contractor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?

Not shure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
3/4/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Have you confirmed at the LINE side voltage of the heater connection (house wires) that you have 240 volts across the 2 hot house wires?

119 volts each leg

OK, Thanks for the confirmation.

1) Each leg to ground having 119 volts is correct.

2) What about phase-to-phase voltage? Can you measure 240 volts across the 2 hot conductors?

did not check that

1) Confirm if you have 240 volts from phase to phase. If so, then the breaker and the circuit are obviously OK.

2) If the proper voltages exist at the LINE side then the only 2 other possibilities are either a faulty T-Stat or a defective heating element or a faulty wire splice/loose termination.

3) A continuity tester or an Ohm meter can confirm if an open heating element or a defective T-Stat.

will try those tests
Must leave now for an appointment.

Very good.

1) When checking for continuity and/or resistance, make sure the circuit breaker is in the OFF position and confirm that no voltage is present at the LINE side connections.

No problem, just reply back to me when you have an opportunity and we can take it from there.

Let me know what you find...........Thanks...........Kevin:)

kevin test for phase to phase turned out bad braker.

Thanks for confirming.

Yes, that is why I requested that you always measure phase-to-phase on a 240V circuit.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks..............Kevin:)