Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm a homeowner who wants to install a GFIC duplex outlet in…

Customer Question
I'm a homeowner who wants...
I'm a homeowner who wants to install a GFIC duplex outlet in my bathroom. According to "Code", can I tie it into an existing circuit or do I need to run a new separate committed Circuit for the outlet.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
3/1/2016
Electrician: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Hi Rick, welcome to justanswer.com

According to current code requirements, the outlet should be on a dedicated circuit.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you, Ken

Thanks Ken. I guess that entails me running a new line to the panel. Hate fishing lines, but I can do it. Meanwhile, I've never really known: Is the Code a "National Thing"? Or does it vary from State to State, or Region to Region?

The Code is the National Electric Code but each jurisdiction has the option of adopting it as is or implementing local codes. Generally, the NEC is the minimum, if there are local codes, many times they are more stringent. You can check with your local building department to determine what is used in your area. One final point, the local AHJ (authority having jurisdiction - the chief building official) always has the final word on any interpretations.