Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am replacing a light switch with a honeywell timer. The…

Customer Question
Hi Kevin. I...

Hi Kevin. I am replacing a light switch with a honeywell timer. The load and line wires are easily identified, not by color, but by the way who ever did the initial installation putting three light switches on the same line. The copper ground is also visible, as is a grey line that I assumed was the neutral but the new timer switch is not indicating it is receiving power. Is is possible the grey line is not a neutral, and if not, what could it be? Thanks, ***** *****.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It is a 3-gang box. It is an old house (1907), so it could be strange wiring. The old light switch did not have a neutral, so it could be that.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
3/1/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Can you provide me with the model number of the Honeywell timer switch?

2) Excluding a bare copper ground wire, how many wires are terminated to the switch that you wish to replace with the timer?

3) Within the wall switch box, is there a group of white neutrals that are spliced together but not terminated to any of the wall switches?