Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have been asked by the buyer of my property to ground the…

Customer Question
I have been asked...

I have been asked by the buyer of my property to ground the gas pipe since there is also flexible gas pipe running to a fireplace. I have the clamp that goes on to the black gas pipe and I know that it has to be at least 6 gauge copper wire. Where does the grounding take place. Does it go to the main ground in the electrical panel or can it go someplace else?

Contractor's Assistant: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?

House was built in 2002. No additions to any service were made.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/29/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Per Article 250.52(B)(1) Not Permitted for Use as Grounding Electrodes within the National Electrical Code states the following:

The following systems and materials shall not be used as grounding electrodes:

(1) Metal underground gas piping systems

2) The grounding electrodes used in a residential electrical distribution system are a minimum of (1) one 8 foot exterior ground rod at the meter socket area to the main panel neutral bus bar and a grounding electrode conductor installed from the main panel neutral bus bar to the street side of a city metal water supply pipe and then jumpered back across the water meter.

3) Metal Gas piping is typically bonded at a gas hot water heater area to the water heater metal supply (hot & cold) piping based on the size of the service. One contiguous bonding jumper conductor is installed from the cold to the hot water metal supply pipes and then to the metal gas pipe that supplies the hot water heater. Metal gas pipe bonding can actually take place anywhere inside the home where the water supply pipes are metal and the gas pipe is metal. However, the most common area to bond these 3 metal pipes are at a gas hot water location.

If the service amps to the main breaker = 100 amps, then a 8 AWG copper bonding conductor is installed.

If the service amps to the main breaker = 200 amps, then a 6 AWG copper bonding conductor is installed.

4) Keep in mind that grounding and bonding are 2 different applications.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)