Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

My home was affected by Superstorm Sandy and I got about 3

Customer Question
feet of water in my...
My home was affected by Superstorm Sandy and I got about 3 feet of water in my house and my electrical BX cable and boxes and most outlets got hit with salt water, I heard if your electric is newer (plastic coated copper) gets hit by salt water then you don't need to change the wiring, is this true? I understand that switches and outlets need to be replaced
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
2/29/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Armored cable such as "BX" is not rated for wet conditions and therefore must be replaced if it came into immediate contact with water. "AC or Armored Cable" is commonly referred to as "BX" in the electrical industry.

Per Article 320.12 (Armored Cable, Type AC, Uses Not Permitted) in the National Electrical Code, here is the exact verbiage:

"Type AC cable shall not be used as follows":

(2) Damp or wet conditions

2) Yes, that is correct. Any device such as a wall switch and/or receptacle must also be replaced.

3) Refer to the attached guide published by NEMA for evaluating flooded electrical areas.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor