Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

If i want to stop using a ceiling light fixture that is

Customer Question
connected to a wall switch...
If i want to stop using a ceiling light fixture that is connected to a wall switch, can I take it down, tape and cap off the wires and put a plate over that ceiling opening and then a plate over the wall switch so it is not touched. Is this safe to do as long as that wall switch is covered and remains in an off position.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/28/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Removal of an electrical fixture or device, capping the wires and putting a cover on the opening is acceptable and safe.

I will also just cover the wall switch will be in the off position and never be able to be touched or turned on. Does that sound right

With the wires capped and covered at the ceiling, the switch can be left as is. Nothing further necessary.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician