Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My old doorbell is connected to an intercom system and has 4…

Customer Question
my old doorbell is connected...
my old doorbell is connected to an intercom system and has 4 wires. My new doorbell only uses two wires. What do I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/28/2016
Electrician: Dr. Fix-It, Electrical Technician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Electrical Technician

Hi my name is Shaw aka Dr.Fix-It , Your online expert ready to assist you... It would help to provide some more details to look into this matter,

What is the brand & model of the the existing door bell / intercom?

Is the bell and intercom all in one housing and just replacing the door bell portion?

What is the color code on the bell and the color code on the door bell button?

Do you have a multi-meter to verify voltages or connections?

What is the replacement bell brand and model #?

Let me know, thanks.

The existing system is a Broan K1300. I'm just trying to replace the physical doorbell button. I have no idea where the actual chime is. No idea what the color code is. I don't have a meter to verify voltage. The replacement door bell is a Ring. Thanks!
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Disregard the call request. Sorry about that first time using this service. Thanks

ok so the existing door bell button has four wires, are two pairs tied together or does the button actually have 4 separate terminals ?

A bell may have two tones, one for a front door and another for a back door :

http://www.1800doorbell.com/images/doorbell-install-diagram.png

`

If all wires are for bell, then two may not being used, in which case can just connect the two wires that when close switch will sound the chime.

If still not sure, please take clear pictures of the existing button wiring and use paperclip on above toolbar to attach it here, thanks.

It has four separate wires. The red and black went to the speaker portion of the door bell and the white and green went to the button portion of the old door bell. If I wire the green and white wires to the new bell then my intercom goes ding dong non-stop.

So the red and black when closed enable the speaker of the intercom and the white and green closed sound a chime... What if keep the red and black jumped together and wire the white and green to the new button? Should keep speaker enabled and only sound chime when button is pressed, unless the contacts need to be opposite of one another I.e the speaker contacts need to open when the chime contacts close, then would need to either find two pole switch or relay to drive the two circuits.