Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Old bath heater in wall want to take it out what to do with…

Customer Question
Old bath heater in...

Old bath heater in wall want to take it out what to do with the wire?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

I thought our electrician had took wire out of box downstairs. Pulled heater from wall and it went poof and tripped the breaker. Can I cut the wire off and do what with it now?

Contractor's Assistant: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?

Assume that the breaker that tripped was the one for this heater. I left it off. However I still want to take out the old heater and drywall the cutout.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/28/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the heater is the only load on the circuit and no longer in use, you need to turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position and disconnect the hot wire(s) from the breaker. Also disconnect the white neutral wire (if applicable) from the neutral bus bar. Re-label the panel breaker space as "Spare". Label the wires inside the panel accordingly in the event you ever need them for a future circuit.

2) Remove the portion of wire that is no longer required and dead-end it in an accessible junction box in the event you require the wires for a future circuit. Cap off the wires at each end using plastic wirenuts.

How do I know what that breaker has on it. I have never pulled out a breaker before. The last electrician told me he took that off the breaker but obviously not. We have an all electric house so we have lots of breakers. I know which one is connected to the old heater since it flipped the breaker when I pulled out the heater. Is ther space for multi[le items on one breaker?
Sorry for the bad spelling, it scared me when it popped the breaker. Ha

1) The main panel should have been labeled as "bath heater" or similar. If the heater is a 240 volt type, the breaker will be a double pole.

2) The breaker can remain in the panel if you want. Just turn it OFF and re-label the breaker space as "Spare". If removing the breaker, you will then need a plastic filler plate to cover up the removed breaker space in the panel door.

3) Doubt the breaker has any other connected loads on it. Typically heater circuits are a dedicated circuit. Turn the breaker OFF and see what loads or lighting no longer work. If nothing found then the circuit was installed as a dedicated circuit and serves no other existing loads.

4) Circuit breakers always need to be confirmed in the OFF position prior to cutting and/or removing any wires for safety reasons:)

Ok I will just leave the breaker off and label it for the old heater. Next time I have the electrician in I will have him disconnect the wires. I do not see anything else off in the house. I have newer type fan/light heaters in the ceilings of two bathrooms so they must be on their own circuit also. Thanks.

Very good. If no other loads are OFF or not working, most likely the heater was on its own dedicated circuit and was not shared.

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor