Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I'm changing my old drop in stove to a slide in stove. I

Customer Question

I'm changing my old drop in stove to a slide in stove. I have 3 wires coming out of the wall , 1 bare wire and 2 black wires, trying to connect to a 4 prong 50 amp outlet. Hooked the 2 black wires to hot, the bare wire to ground, turn outlet on plugged new range in and burners work but the display doesn't come on and oven doesn't work
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Since you have a 3 wire circuit, you should install a 3 wire outlet, and put a 3 prong cord on the new stove.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to post a photo of the wiring compartment, inside the back of the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't ask that
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I understand. But I am posting the info that is required to get the unit working properly, and to be compliant with the National Electrical Code. Any installation less than what I've described is a fire hazard.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the three wires from the house hot wired to the old drop in stove. No don't know how to post a photo
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

In order to get the new unit working, a jumper inside the back of it, in the wiring compartment, must be in place. If you don't mind standing by, I'll try to find something Online that I can post here to illustrate what's required.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Still looking for the right image. I appreciate your patience.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

This image shows how the jumper in the wiring compartment on the stove has to be configured for a 3 wire electrical supply connection.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

In that image, the jumper is referred to as the "ground strap".

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It needs to connect to the middle post, the metal frame of the unit, and the bare wire from the wall (which also goes to the middle threaded post).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I'm not getting it. I've YouTube this and some people say they sell a 3 prong because this is common problem is that what you were referring too.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It's a common problem because the Code changed at some point to require a 4 wire circuit. When that happened, the manufacturers began building the appliances to receive a 4 wire circuit. However, there is a workaround, which involves connecting it a certain way. If you were installing a NEW circuit, it would be required by Code to contain 4 wires, not 3. I can walk you through posting photos if you would like me to do so, and we can get this resolved pretty quickly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you want to post it that's fine.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to save photos somewhere on your computer?