Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Rob, and trying to replace regular light switches w/ Lutron…

Customer Question
Rob, and trying to...

Rob, and trying to replace regular light switches w/ Lutron smart ones

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I've got 2 switches that control different outdoor lights next to each other, that seem to share a hot wire between them. So one has a black, and a shared black and the other shares that black and has its own. When I replace them w/ the Lutron switches, one light will go out after about 10 seconds w/ a clicking noise.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/27/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The shared wire should be the Line on both switches. Is that the way you have them?

How do I know if it's the shared wire ?If I wanted to use a single switch to control both lights, can I do that by wiring both to one switch?

Look at both switches and if there are wires on each going to a common connection, it's a shared hot wire. The other wire on the switches goes to the lights. Yes you may combine the wires to the lights and have them on one switch.