Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

6 wire 220v three phase motor delta or yy, motor uses w2 w1…

Customer Question
6 wire 220v three...

6 wire 220v three phase motor delta or yy

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Motor uses w2 w1 u1 u2 v1 v2 not sure which way to wire it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/27/2016
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago
Steven Parent

Hello, my name is***** me see if I can assist you today. Sounds like you have a European dual voltage motor, but is there no nameplate or markings on it? 220 is probably the low voltage delta connection, and 440 high voltage wye connection. So you want to connect W2-U1, U2-V1, V2-W1 and take a line to each.

U1-u2 v1-v2 w1-w2 is how it is wired now with leads from a switch for low and high and reverse low and high labeled1u1-2u1 1v1-2v1 1w1-2w1 these are connected in order which the top
With the top
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Are you keeping the switch? Or how are you starting the motor

Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

OK, and do you have power running to the switch?

3 phase 120 the motor will start in high speed but not low speed which makes me question how the motor is wired did you receive the pic I sent
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes I did. To find how the motor is wired you would have to know how the switch operates, to see what connections it is making when it switches.

Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Should be delta connection at low speed, and double wye at high speed

is the schematic I drew right??
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Well you've only drawn wires going to the motor, where do you have those wires terminated on the switch

Ok so my question is can this motor be wired different ways
Mike, Master Electrician