Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Can I use 150w 120v bulb on 500w 120v lamp?

Customer Question
can I use 150w 120v bulb on 500w 120v lamp?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
FEIT 150W T3 HALOGEN RSC 3000K on a 500w 120v lamp
2/25/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** Iwill be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Yes, as long as the total wattage rating of the light bulbs does not exceed the wattage rating of the light fixture, that is acceptable.

somehow the old t3 halogen bulb broke when I try to remove it, and just purchased today a 150w 120v from walmart, i couldnt find a 500w similar to the one broken.
the light fixture has a written 500w and I believe 120v or 240v??does it make difference if its 120v or 240v? dont remmeber what i read

Thanks for the replies.

1) I doubt very much that the light bulbs in the circuit is a 240 volt circuit. If this is a residential home, the light bulbs will only be 120 volt type of bulbs.

2) The light fixture will contain a label for the maximum wattage rating for the light bulbs.

3) Individual wattage ratings of 500 watt light bulbs are rare in a home. Most likely, the entire light fixture is rated at a maximum wattage of 500 watts.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor