Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a ground fault added outlets one is light switch.

Customer Question
using meter outlets and switch...
I have a ground fault added outlets one is light switch. using meter outlets and switch show 120 volts. turn switch on also shows 120 volts. if you put fixture on and turn on switch trips ground fault. plug extension cord into outlet trips ground fault. I have done lots of wiring checked for crossed ground does not appear to be the problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/24/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Does the GFCI contain a LOAD side connection or only a LINE side connection?

2) If a LOAD side connection exists, temporarily remove the LOAD side wire terminations and confirm if the GFCI now works properly and does not trip.

Let me know the results.

the gfi does have a load and works without load on it. I have changed the gfi which was not the problem new one works same as the old one.

1) Since the GFCI works properly when the LOAD wires are removed, there is a downstream ground fault that is causing the tripping.

2) Un-plug all cord & plug loads on the circuit. Temporarily back all devices out from the wall boxes but do not disconnect any wires. Re-terminate the LOAD side wires at the GFCI

It is possible that a plugged-in load may be causing the GFCI to trip or a bare copper ground wire is coming into contact with a switch or receptacle hot or neutral screw.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)