Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Have small building,have a outsie boxwith gfc,underground…

Customer Question
have small building,have a outsie...
have small building,have a outsie boxwith gfc,underground wiring12-3 .Iside havebreaker box 20amp.can I use a 20 amp breaker outside same inside.how do I wirethis up&,how do I grond boxes.AL
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/23/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Are you looking to install a sub-panel to a detached building? Or are you looking to install a multi-wire circuit (a shared neutral circuit) to a detached building?

2) What is the approximate distance from the main electrical panel to the detached building?

3) If installing a sub-panel, how many amps will the feeder circuit be? 20 amps?

4) Does the underground wires contain an equipment grounding conductor? How many wires in the underground? 3 or 4 wires or are the wires installed in Rigid metal conduit?

using outside box as service enterence to building has a gfc attached to box.12-3 wire .this would be used as quick discon.Bulding is locked most of time.inside box has 20amp for 2plugins&ligths.this iswired to garage which has 60amp service.the wire is for under ground in electrical pvc .want to use 20amp braker outside. how would I wire &ground. can this be done. AL

Thanks for the replies.

1) Will the 20 amp breaker be installed inside the locked building or in the garage? Does the locked building contain a sub-panel and this is a separate building from the garage?

2) Will the 20 amp circuit be a 120 volt or a 240 volt circuit?