Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We have tried two new electric kettles, a Brevillesk500xl…

Customer Question
We have tried two...

We have tried two new electric kettles, a Brevillesk500xl 120v 60 Hz 1500W, and aKrupsBW750 120V 160Hz 1500W, both made in China. The Breville claims UL US, and the Krups UL STD 1082.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

When on, they both produce a lowish humming in our kitchen's outer wall.

Contractor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?

The house was built in the 70's with 110v wiring, I think.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/22/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If you temporarily relocate the appliances to other wall receptacles in the home, does the humming noise follow or go away?

Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

If you are still in need of assistance on the situation.

1. The receptacles being used on these kettles are on their own circuits at the panel?

2. Are the receptacles GFCI protected?

3. Can you do a temporary test at the washing machine receptacle perhaps for the same noise?

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks