Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a table saw that was 220, and i had the electric

Customer Question
motor shop switch it over...
I have a table saw that was 220, and i had the electric motor shop switch it over to 110. the motor has leads 1,3,5 spliced together, and 2, 4, 8 together. the saw has a cutler-hammer switch that has 4 poles, the wires to the switch are green and red on top and white and black on the bottom. The power cord coming in has black, white and green which is grounded to the motor chassis. Which leads to the switch and power cord get connected to the which switch wires?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 4 days by:
2/27/2016
Electrician: AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Please clarify the situation.

You have 4 wires from the switch leading to the motor?

The power was disconnected from the switch?

Not sure who or what wires may have been changed internally anbd need more details as to what took place.

Thanks

This is a cutler- hammer switch that is mounted on the saw frame. It it a push on, push off type switch. The wires are 4 separate leads to the junction box...red, green on top and black and white on the bottom. They should be connected to the motor leads and the power cord leads in the junction box. My question is which wires from the power cord and motor get connected to which wires coming from the switch for the motor to operate with the switch. To operate the motor without the switch, I just connect the black (hot) to 1,3,5, spliced, and the white (neutral) to the 2,4 8 spliced.
The motor shop changed the motor from 220 operation to 110 and in so doing reconfigured the wiring. They told me to get an electricians help in reconnecting the switch to the motor.

Ok, thanks.

It is odd to have a green wire on the switch, that is not normal for power.

Since the saw was originally 220 volts, you will need a multi meter to test continuity on the wires.

It may be that the entire saw was for 220 volt operation only and power on both legs went to the switch, so trying to connect the motor only to 120 volts, it doesnt exist on the power cord.

Was this originally set for 220 volts, power cord and motor?

What changes were made to the power cord?

The motor was designed to operate either 220 or 110. The cord was switched from a 220 plug to a 110.

I understand on the motor, they are fairly standard in dual voltages, but the table saws are rarely designed for both voltages.

Picture of the switch may help to determine why a green wire was used.

There should be some stamping on the switch also