Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Trying to replace 3 speed fan switch on ceiling fan. I have…

Customer Question
Trying to replace 3...

Trying to replace 3 speed fan switch on ceiling fan. I have black, grey, brown, & purple wires. How should I reconnect them?

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes. Switch has L, 1, 2, & 3 for connections.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/22/2016
Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 2 years ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

hi can you tell me what make and model fan you have ....................and if I am correct you are trying to replace the pull chain fan speed switch on the fan itself right ?

thanks

eddie

Harbor Breeze 160501 & and yes I am replacing the 3-speed fan switch. I have connected blk to L, grey to 1, brown to 2, purple to 3. Pull chain will switch thru all 3 speeds but will not cut off?

I don't know what you mean by not cut off .....if you could expound upon that a little more ...........and is it a pull chain switch or a remote speed control?

It is a pull chain switch. The model is Harbor Breeze RB52-1 E89519. The pull chain allows me to select the 3 speeds, but it does not allow me to select OFF. In other words the fan blades will not stop turning on the 4th pull of the chain.

I am looking for a wiring diagram for that model now ............hopefully just a couple more minutes

you have the black at L which is correct ..........any diagram I look at says purple to 3 ..............have you tried swapping out the gray and brown ?...... and just to make sure that you have the exact replacement switch

That didn't work. Just forget it. You are no help. And DO NOT make a charge to my credit card!

I wont I didn't ask to be rated until I found you a solution ..........I will opt out so if you don't click any star rating you wont be charged any extra for my time here

Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Your wire connections using blk to L, grey to 1, brown to 2, purple to 3 are common on many ceiling fans. However, it sounds like the replacement pull chain switch that you purchased is not identical to the original switch. Pull chain switches may look identical on the exterior, but the interior of the switch may have a different switching pattern and the pull chain won't work correctly as you have already discovered.

Refer to the attachment shown below:

2) If you purchased the replacement switch at Home Depot or Lowe's, a good chance the switch will not work as these stores only sell a very basic pull chain model which may not work on all fans.

3) I recommend that you contact Gulf Fans shown in the link below. Provide them with the model number of the fan and they can provide you with an identical pull chain replacement switch.

http://eceilingfans.com/switches_-_pull_chain_-_ceilin.html

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)