Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Oven range install. 40amp breaker. 8-3 wire. existing

Customer Question
oven range install. 40amp...
oven range install. 40amp breaker. 8-3 wire. existing junction box has 10-3 wire inside aluminum flex to goes to the receptacle. Is the 10-3 ok?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/21/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) No, if the range requires a 40 amp breaker, the branch circuit conductors either need to be 8 AWG Copper or 6 AWG Aluminum. which are both rated for 40 amps.

2) 10 AWG copper is rated for 30 amps while 10 AWG Aluminum is rated for 20 amps.

3) Installing undersized conductors on a branch circuit is a code violation due to over fusing as well as a potential safety issue. Undersized wires can heat up and possibly become too hot and melt due to the electrical current in the circuit. A 40 amp range must have the correct contiguous conductors all the way thru to the wall receptacle and the cord must also be rated as 40 amp conductors. The wall receptacle must also have a NEMA rating of 50 amps as they don't manufacture a 40 amp receptacle.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)