Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Running Optical and HDMI cable from Projector (mounted in…

Customer Question
Running Optical and HDMI cable...
Running Optical and HDMI cable from Projector (mounted in drop down ceiling) to screen wall ( to keep sound plate and dvd player below screen) in basement.
Basement has drop down ceiling. Running cable in ceiling till wall was easy. Drilled a 1" hole on top of wall opening ( hole in fire blocking plate and steel plate above wall, wall has steel frames (plate and studs)). Than created single gang box opening in wall were cable need to be pulled (below projector screen). Found out wall has vapor barrier and insulation in it.
Not able to push cable down in wall. How to run cable through vapor barrier and insulation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
Attached wiring diagram
2/21/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC General Class License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) You will require a metal fish tape and a lot of patience. Fishing an insulated wall can be a time consuming effort with much trial & error.

2) Often, this is a 2 person project. Insert the metal fish tape either at the top of the wall or at the wall box. Then have an assistant use a bent wire metal coat hanger to try to hook and grab onto the fish tape to pull thru the insulation.

3) Depending upon space availability, fiberglass Fish Stix rods are also another possibility to fish the wall.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

This doesn't answer the question about vapor barrier and insulation.As you can see, i have drilled hole and provided wiring diagram, i know baiscs fishing wire with hooks.
Question is how to pass cable through vapor barrier and insulation?
Do we puncture the barrier? Do we need to seal it? What happens if we don't seal it?
I don't think fishing cable will go through insulation where i want to be?

1) Use an electrician metal fish tape. The fish tape will more than likely break apart and puncture a hole in the vapor barrier and some of the wall insulation will also come off. Unfortunately, there is no other choice when fishing a vapor barrier insulated wall. This occurs all of the time and is not a big deal if puncturing the vapor barrier or even pulling some of the insulation apart.

2) If concerned about puncturing the vapor barrier and/or removing a small portion of the wall insulation when fishing, then the only other choice is to remove a portion of the wall covering and that is seldom done in the industry.

3) If the wall covering remains in place, it is impossible to re-seal vapor barrier that is inside a drywall and it is not a big deal.

4) Fishing an insulated wall takes much time and patience. Not the easiest task to perform by no means:)

5) Having an un-sealed portion of the wall stud cavity area is not a deal breaker. The cavity area where you will fish the wall is still protected by the left and right side wall studs and the wall covering. There will still be plenty of barrier plastic and insulation inside the wall cavity area. Puncturing the vapor barrier and/or any portion of the insulation will not even be noticeable.

Thanks.............Kevin:)