Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a Hamilton bay ceiling fan and I'm trying to replace…

Customer Question
I have a Hamilton bay...
I have a Hamilton bay ceiling fan and I'm trying to replace the fan speed switch with a universal one but it doesn't work. Do you know which colors correspond to which number. I have gray, brown and purple
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/21/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If you purchased a pull chain replacement switch at Home Depot or Lowe's, these seldom work. Even though a pull chain switch may look similar on the outside, the inside of the switch can have a different switching pattern and the universal switch that was purchased may not work correctly.

2) Unfortunately on ceiling fans, there is no standard color code for pull chain switches. Hopefully, you labeled the wires or took a picture of the terminations prior to disconnecting them from the original pull chain switch?

Often, but not always, Black is used for the hot wire, Grey = Position #1, Brown = Position #2 and Purple = Position # *****

See attachment shown below:

3) If the switch you purchased does not work, I recommend that you contact Gulf Fans as shown in the link below. Provide them with the manufacturer name and fan model number and they can send you the correct pull chain replacement for your fan model.

http://eceilingfans.com/switches_-_pull_chain_-_ceilin.html

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Thank you for your help.

No problem, glad to assist.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor