Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a and 1hp motor that I need to hook up to a Drum

Customer Question
I have a Smith and...
I have a Smith and Jones 1hp motor that I need to hook up to a Drum Switch. I have no idea what to do. The motor has wires labeled P1, P2 (both connected at the motor to an overload switch), T2, T3, T4, T5 and T8. The drum switch had terminals labled 1, 3, 5 on one side and 2, 4, 6 on the other. How do I wire these two things so that nothing burns up?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
I should have also told you it is a single phase motor and I want to run it of 115 VAC
2/21/2016
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago
Steven Parent

Hello Stu, my name is***** me try and assist you to wire up your motor and drum switch. Is there a wiring diagram that is on the name plate of the motor? How about of the drum switch? I could then draw you the wiring diagram.

Steve,
Yes let me get pics, I'll post shortly....
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Great, thanks.

Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Perfect. Let me just draw you a connection diagram.

Steve,
Thanks!
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Let me know how it goes, or if there are any issues

Steven, well I can't get the motor to run in either direction. I'm pretty sure I wired it just like the diagram, but I can't get the motor to run. I haven't had time to do much troubleshooting, but I'll get on it as soon as I have some time. I have included an EMO switch into the circuit, but I don't see how that could cause this problem. I'll wire it directly to the main and see if that makes any difference. I'll also double check the wiring. I'm sure it's something stupid I did, so don't worry about it. I'll let you know what I find out. It may be a while as I am going to be out of the country for about 10 days. Thanks for your help....Cheers! Stu
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Alright, thanks Stu. Just let me know. That diagram should be good.

Steve, well I traced all the wiring from the motor to the switch and the main power and it is all wired the way you diagramed it for me. I said before that I couldn't get the motor to run well now I can get it to run it just doesn't work the way it should. First issue is that when I plug in the system with the drum switch in the off position the motor starts to hum. I can get it to rotate by engaging the drum switch but then I can't shut it off or reverse the direction unless I hit my EMO switch which cuts power to the system. Also, if I'm too slow getting the switch engaged the motor's thermal protection switch disengages and the the motor stops humming but won't do anything until it cools down and the switch is reengaged. Any ideas on what I need to do? Thanks again for you help and I look forward to your reply. Cheers! Stu
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

You have a 120 volt supply correct? is the hot (black) wire going to P1? And th neutral (white) wire going to 2 on the switch?

Steve, yes I am using a 120 VAC source. I have a black wire (which I expect is the hot lead, a white wire which I expect is the neutral lead and a green wire which I know is the ground lead. I have wired the system so that the white wire is going to 2 on the switch. I plan to reverse the white and black leads to see if there is an issue with polarity, really because I have no other ideas. As I mentioned before, I will be out of the country on business for the next 10 days so I won't get to try this until a week from this Saturday. I appreciate your help a lot and will be sure to let you know what happens. Cheers! Stu
I reversed polarity on the motor and I got exactly the same results as before. When I pug it in with the drum switch in the off position, the motor hums and the overload switch trips after about 30 sec. If I engage the drum switch in one or the other positions, the motor starts to run. When it is running if I switch the drum switch to off, the motor keeps running. If I move the drum switch to the other rotation position, the motor keeps running but does not change direction. I'm really stumped here....
Steve, anything you can tell me that will help me? I'm at my wits end...