Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

The electrician ran 12-3 with a 50amp breaker to the garage…

Customer Question
The electrician ran 12-3 with...
The electrician ran 12-3 with a 50amp breaker to the garage sub panel and I feel that wasn't right so I want to re-do it, or at least verify it's not incorrect. He said he does 12-3 all the time. Here's the details and what I think is correct, and the type of boxes he installed in the house and in the garage:I'm running from a Square D 60-Circuit 30-Space 200-Amp Main Breaker Load Center inside the house to an outside garage, the run will be in 2" conduit to a Square D 12-Circuit 6-Space 100-Amp Main Lug Load Center in the garage, and the run will be approximately 25 feet. What size breaker do I need and what size wire? I have 6-3 ordered and 2" CARLON conduit with appropriate fittings and connectors. Additionally, do I need a grounding rod at the garage, or will it use the ground in the house panel?My gut instincts tell me my electrical is wrong when he put in 12-3 wire to that garage box and attached it to a 50 amp breaker...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/20/2016
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Your instincts are correct. His installation is very dangerous.

12 gauge wire is not rated for 50 amps. It's not even rated for half that amperage. It's rated at 20 amps.

Since you have ordered #6 wire, you can only connect it to a 60 amp breaker or smaller (assuming it's copper wire).

You need 4 conductors between the two panels. If the enter distance between the panels will be piped in, you can easily add a ground wire, since you've ordered 6-3, especially in 2" conduit.

If the garage is detached from the house, you need a ground rod at the sub panel.

In the sub panel, ground wires and neutral wires are to be on separate bars, not mixed on the same bar(s).