Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Is there any type of insulation hat lights?. I have air

Customer Question
is there any type of...
is there any type of insulation for high hat lights?. I have air coming from the high hats in the vaulted ceiling of my bedroom.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/19/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You'll need to check the model number on the inside of the can. Any notation of "IC" indicates that insulation may be in direct contact with the exterior of the can. If not marked the insulation needs to be 3 inches away to prevent a fire hazard. That type of can would need and enclosure over the top of it keeping the insulation at the 3 inches.

can high hats be converted into a different type of lighting without removing all eight fixtures?

Never saw one that could be. Do you have access to a crawl space above them?

no crawl space just about 24'' to hold highhats and space for a skylight in the roof.

If not IC rated, drop the interior of the fixture and stuff insulation at least 3" away of if rated stuff as much as possible. There isn't anything else to do but replace them. If they were installed as new work, there is a frame that would interfere with installing a new can from below.

I'll try dropping and stuffing! Thanks for your assistance.

Very good. You're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician