Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have an issue where my microwave went bad and i replaced…

Customer Question
Hi i have an...

Hi i have an issue where my microwave went bad and i replaced it. the new one worked for a short while half a day maybe then blew the microwave fuse, i replaced the microwave fuse then a few minutes later it blew the fuse again but this time it stopped working completley i bought another microwave and same thing but this time a moved it to another seperate circuit, clearly i have an electrical issue but everything else that is plugged in like a warmer and hot pot have no issues, i believe it may be a neutral that may be shared by both circuits or something like that

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I also had a transformer to a neon light go bad that was connected to the same outlet

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/16/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You are correct in that a shared neutral could be a cause of appliance failure. I suggest that the microwave should be on a separate circuit direct to the panel with out a shared neutral. Most electrical circuits are on their own hot and neutr to avoid spikes and low voltage that is the reason for failure. You might consider making a circuit map of the electrical system to know exactly what is on any circuit and make troubleshooting easier. A sheet of paper oer floor, sketch the rooms, put an R for receptacles and an L for lights. With help flipping breakers mark the breaker number next to the letter. You will see it all. When something fails and outlets ahead worm, you will have isolated where to make the corrections.

the spikes could be the reason that it is only affecting appliances with circuit boards like the microwave and neon sign transformer and nothing else

That's correct. When 2 circuits share a neutral and there is a bad connection on that neutral the voltage will spike on one circuit and drop on the other in relation to the difference of the loads. On receptaclecircuits shared neutrals should not be dependant on connections to devices. They should be made up in a wirenut with a pigtail to the device. If any receptacles are wired with the push back connection, they will fail and cause your type of problem. All wires on devices need to be terminated under screws.

Thank you. This is in my business place so I am going there tomorrow to run new lines to solve this issue and check for voltage etc. Thanks again for confirming what I believe is the problem

You're welcome. Good luck.