Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I just chatted with and would like to get back with m

Customer Question
I just chatted with Mike...
I just chatted with Mike and would like to get back with him
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/16/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 1 year ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

I'm here, go ahead.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No reading on 250 or 20 ACV
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But it does light up a voltage tester.

Your meter setting is at 4 o'clock on the dial 300ACV. The needle should go around half way and the scale used is the one marked 300V. If it would be easier you could authorize a phone call.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I'm sorry for the delay, we're having a problem with the site. I'll get to you as soon as possible. Hang in there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 3 lines. 1 hot, 1 to a socket and the other to a switch. The switch is one line. I don't see how it is carrying a charge. I want to hook up my fan.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 3 lines. 1 hot, 1 to a socket and the other to a switch. How do I a wire it for the switch to turn on the fan?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you tell me please. I don't have $18 in the budget.

The hot pair go to the receptacle, black to gold screw, white to silver screw.

Connect the white to the socket to the receptacle silver screw.

Connect the white to switch to gold screw on receptacle.

Connect short black jumper wire from gold receptacle screw to switch.

Connect black from socket to switch.

Connect all grounds together and to both devices.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My fan mounting bracket has no gold or silver screw. There are 3 screws on it I guess that I can use. There are no grounds except on the bracket.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The socket and hot line are pig tailed together. The switch is by itself.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

As I understood you, the switch controlled the socket. If not, what is the socket and is there a light somewhere?

Did you refer to the receptacle as a socket. If so, I'll need to amend the directions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Switch controlled the light, where the fan is going. In the box is a hot line, socket line and switch line. No grounds.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Amend please.

Black and white from the feed pair to receptacle.

Black jumper wire receptacle to switch -gold screw.

White from light to receptacle silver screw.

Black from light to switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The receptacle is the fan. The bracket for the fan has no gold or silver screws. The receptacle(fan) is the same as the light.3 lines. hot socket switch. The hot and socket are piggy tailed. Is that right.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should they all be piggy tailed? I don' t understand how the switch line works without a direct current.

In a fan the whites are connected together and if only one switch the other wires are connected together. I thought you were doing a wall box.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Say that again. No piggy tails needed. Just connect all the wires together?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nevermind I have tried that already. Tripped the breaker.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want another expert. No offense. We are just going nowhere.

No problem. Stand by.

Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago
Steven Parent

Hello, what exactly are you trying to wire? and what box are all the wires in that you are working on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is for a ceiling fan. Replacing a light.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Anybody there?
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok, so you are just replacing an existing light with a new fan? All the wiring is in the ceiling box? You have an existing switch already?

Steven Parent
Steven Parent
Steven Parent