Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Do you de-rate feeder conductors in addition to de-rating a…

Customer Question
Do you de-rate feeder conductors...
Do you de-rate feeder conductors in addition to de-rating a feeder conductor?
For example: If I have a 600 circuit breaker protecting a 600 amp feeder, do I derate the load alloowed on the feeder to 80% and then apply another de-rating to circuit breaker with non-continuous loads. That would make the load available of 600 x .8 x .8 = 384 amps.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/15/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You only derate the wire and then size the breaker to the number. The size of the breaker can be increased if the calculation shows more than the size of a listed breaker, step up to next size.