Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have dual voltage single phase Rockwell motor that i need…

Customer Question
I have dual voltage single...
I have dual voltage single phase Rockwell motor that i need to wore up to this 3pole ac reversing push button for. Stop. Reverse. Switch
Need help please. Motor has 6leads. Only the motor shows diagram but need to know where to land on switch. Has three srews at the top. 6 in center with bonding strap connecting them and three on the bottom.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
| | |
• • •
• • •
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/14/2016
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago
Steven Parent

Hello Robert, my name is***** me try and set you up with a wiring diagram for you to install this switch. Would you be able to upload a photo of the motor diagram? Also what is your supply voltage? And can you see how the switch works? Are the 6 terminals in the middle common to the top 3 terminals with the switch is pushed forward, and the bottom 3 when it is pushed reverse? Any numbering on the screws on the switch?

120v.
Yes and yes
No numbering as that is the issue i am having
Can't upload at the moment but I can try to explain it.
from power source at the top above the diagram which has lines going up only from L1 & L2:
⤴ ⤴
L1. L2+T5. T2+T4. T6. T1+T3
⤵ ⤵ ⤵ ⤵ ⤵
to reverse switch
I'm also a commercial journeyman electrician. I'm just a little confused by this switch. Also there is three jumper wires. Going from the top three to the bottom three and two of them are crossed
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Yeah single phase fwd rev motors are a bit tricky for sure. Is there no T8 wire from the motor. Usually single phase motors you just have to interchange 5 & 8 to change rotation. Probably what that cross is the jumpers is

No. No T8. That's what got me confused.and the crossing of jumper I understand but then the center screws are bonded so there is continuity pretty much all time between the top center all the way down and far right all the way dow
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Do you know the model number of the motor

exactly!
I think the model number Is *****
The switch housing has:no. 8905K45
Three pole A-C
Reversing pushbutton
Switch
Cutler-hammer, inc.
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

OK cool, so we're on the same page with the switch.

Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

I just cant see the diagram on the motor

Does that help
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Does show on the motor anything about cw or ccw rotation?

None that I could see or find no. It only has a diagram like I showed you for 115v and another for 230v
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

OK. Have you had the motor running before? without the switch

Owner said he did. But I'm not even sure what I need to do just to get it to run on normal on & off. Could you tell me
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

how many hp? what is it for?

A lathe. 1 hp
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Is the L1 and L2 at the motor? or just T1-6

L1&2 are from the power cord. T1-6 at the motor
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

OK, so 120v comes into the motor box and then gets taken to the switch from there

I can Chang it if need be
Ill try that out . Be tomorrow though. How confident are you it'll work and not blow a breaker lol
Electrician: Steven Parent,
 replied 2 years ago

Shouldn't blow a breaker, it might not turn tho, or run only one direction

Mike, Master Electrician