Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

How do you install a ceiling fan with 5 sets of wires?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/14/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Please tell me what you are calling a set of wires.

I've got 5 black and 5 white wires that are two wires per set
Its an older house this is in master bedroom

How many switches in the room controlling the ceiling outlet?

One

Are CV any of the wire connected to each other and how many aren't? Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

They we're hook together but I took them all apart I do have a tester I no which one is hot
I also know which one is for the switch I tried hooking switch neutral to hot but it trip breaker I was following 4set rule 5 set has me confused

What rule?

One white to all black and the remainder white all together
What are you thinking
Hello
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I think if we talk it may make better sense.

OK, no matter.

1) test from hot wire to ground. Needed to determine which is the wire to the light.

2) temp connect all the blacks together, with the switch off and all the whites not connected and not touching.

3) test the white wires to ground looking for voltage. The ones not showing voltage are possiblly going to switch.

4) turn the switch on and test the wires that didn't show voltage. The one that is now hot is to the switch.

5) now remove the paired black wire to that white and connect the white with all the blacks. Connect all the remaining whites together.

6) connect the fan to the single black wire and the group of white wires.

It takes time to type an answer. Do you still want a phone call.

Nah I'm going to try what you advised should not take long

Very good.

Okay I got to hot white wires

You should have the switch off to find the one that isn't hot till you turn the switch on. That's what you're looking for.

Same two hot on and off

This are not going to the switch. Reread my instructions.

When switch is off I had two hot whites and same two are hot when switch is on am I suppose to connect two hot whites to the blacks

No, this 2 wires connect to the incoming feed white. They are going to other outlets, lights and receptacles. THE ONE THAT WAS DEAD WITH THE SWITCH OFF AND WENT LIVE WITH THE SWITCH ON.

I understand but when the switch was off it did not change when switch was on same three stay neutral same two stayed hot on and off and they are not connected

The ones that showed no voltage need to be tested again when the switch is on. The one that shows voltage is the one we're looking for. If nothing changes, disconnect the switch, it may be bad.

I have tested with switch on and off same results

Remove the switch and test at the ceiling with the wires not connected in the switch box and then with them connected. You may have welded the contacts in the switch previously.

Okay just removed switch and same two white wires show power same three neutral switch is not connected

We seem to not getting this done.

You have 5 withe wires

One is the feed neutral.

When the blacks are all together some of the whites will show voltage to ground.

The white wire to the switch, with the switch disconnected should not show voltage to ground.

When the wires are connected at the switch the white wire should now show voltage to ground.

When that white is identified, it should be connected to the group of black wires and its paird black removed from the group.

When the above is completed, the remaining whites are all connected together.

The fan connects to the single black and the group of white wires.

The switch can now be replaced and if necessary a new switch installed.

Of you follow the instructions it should work unless there are issues I'm not aware of.

Okay

Let me know how it goes.

I will

Very good.