Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have several circuits that are currently getting partial…

Customer Question
I have several circuits that...
I have several circuits that are currently getting partial to no voltage. I have 120v on both lines into the house, and most of my circuits are getting 120v, but I'm only getting 3.75v on several circuits. What are some possible solutions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/13/2016
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Do you know how many total circuits are affected? Where are you taking the readings?

Taking the readings at the breaker box, where the wires enter the buses
I'm checking the total number of circuits now
It's actually every other circuit
I get 120v on one circuit, and then 3.75 at the next, then 120v, etc as I go down each side of the box

Sorry for the delay. Had a phone call from another customer.

This sounds like a dead leg of power. The only reason you would get a good reading on each main is because it's reading through the double pole breakers. If you turn off all double pole breakers, you should be able to isolate one of the mains as being dead.

Or, it could be the main breaker that has the problem.

Okay, so turn off all double poles, check the mains

Yes, exactly.

Okay with all double poles off, still getting 120v to both mains

Is that when taking a reading from one main breaker lug to other main breaker lug?

When the meter probes are oriented that way, the reading should be around 240 volts, as you probably already know.

If that's the reading you are getting, then the main breaker itself is the problem. Are you able to post a photo of your panel, with all breakers shown?