Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Flashing indicator lights on Lutron Maestro dimmer switch for a ceiling fan.

Customer Question
I have flashing indicator lights...
I have flashing indicator lights on Lutron Maestro dimmer switch for a ceiling fan. I installed a brand new switch and it did the same thing. What could the problem be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/13/2016
Electrician: ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor

Does the dimmer only control the light on the ceiling fan? Are the fan & light switched separately?

The dimmer controls the light and fan separately. The light dimmer is flashing and I cannot control the fan switch. It all of a sudden started happening one evening. Could it be possible that the fan needs to be replaced?

Let me look for info on that flashing LED. If the fan was good before it should be okay now but one way you could test it is to turn the power off connect those wires together after taking the dinner out and then turn the power back on and see if the fan works.

I will respond here when I find the info on the flashing LED thank you

Please let me know if the fan works once you bypass the switches, thanks

The fan and light do still work if I pull the cords. I already checked that and even changed the light bulbs.

OK, thanks

Check the total watts of the lamps controlled by the dimmer, are they over 600 watts?

All of the wattage should be correct. I had the same switch for the last two years and never had a problem until recently.

Can you upload a picture of the dimmer as connected? Thanks

Do you need anything else?

No and am out of ideas. I will opt out to allow others to answer if anyone has better info. Thank you

Thank you for trying.
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What type of light bulbs are you using for the light kit? Incandescent or LED or CFL or Halogen?

2) Please provide me with the model number of the Lutron Maestro dimmer switch?

Thanks for the replies and picture.

1) The Lutron Maestro fan control switch is only rated for incandescent or halogen light bulbs. It is not rated for CFL light bulbs as the type shown in your picture.

2) Have you tried installing a regular incandescent light bulb in the light kit?

3) Do you have the Lutron mating canopy module installed at the ceiling box?

1) Also, make sure the fan and light kit pull chains are set to the highest setting.

I had the same type of bulb before for two years. I may have not purchased the right bulb. I will go back to home Depot tomorrow and see if the incandescent light bulb works. I also did install the Lutron canopy module that came with the kit in the ceiling box.
I will try and respond in the AM.

OK, very good.....Thank you for the replies.

1) Yes, I recommend to install a regular incandescent light bulb in the light kit and see if that corrects the problem.

2) Also, make sure the fan and light kit pull chains are set to the highest setting. Once the fan controller is installed, the pull chains are no longer used but they must remain on the highest setting.

No problem, I will be logged on the web site all day tomorrow, so just reply back to me when you have an opportunity.

In the meantime, have a good evening and we'll catch up with you tomorrow.............Thanks.............Kevin:)

Thank you, ***** ***** Saturday evening, and we all have things to do I am sure.

Yes, I'm sure.

I went back to Home Depot this morning and the bulbs I bought were the only ones that they had with the two prongs.

1) If the light sockets can only accept the "twist-on" GU24 style CFL light bulbs, you will not be able to use the Lutron Maestro dimmer switch for the fan since this dimmer switch model is not rated for CFL light bulbs.

2) You will need to install a dimmer switch that is rated for CFL dimmable light bulbs.

3) What type of wall switch did you previously have prior to installing the Lutron Maestro? Was it also a dimmer switch or just a regular ON/OFF snap type of switch?

I reinstalled the same exact Lutron Maestro switch that I previously had that worked fine for about 2 years with the same bulbs.

1) Interesting. Based on the product description of the Lutron Maestro "MA-LFQHW-WH" as shown in the Home Depot link below, it shows "For use with incandescent and halogen bulbs only"

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Maestro-1-Amp-Single-Pole-7-Speed-Combination-Fan-and-Light-Control-White-MA-LFQHW-WH/100576179?keyword=MA-LFQHW-WH

I don't see how this dimmer switch could work properly with a CFL light bulb?

2) If it did work with the CFL bulbs, they must be rated as dimmable. CFL bulbs come in 2 flavors...ie.........non-dimmable or dimmable.

The fan switch will not react when pressed either. I have to turn everything on and off with the pull cords,

If that is the case, then the switch and/or the canopy module must be an out-of-box failure or defective. Since the fan is still able to be controlled by the pull chains, obviously the fan is working correctly.

The new switch I put in did the exact same thing as the switch I removed. I do not understand what is going on.

Since two consecutive controllers don't work, I recommend switching over to a different brand.

If you have an AC voltmeter available, you can temporarily disconnect the canopy module output to the fan wiring harness and measure for 120 volts ON & OFF directly at the canopy output yellow wire for the fan and at the canopy red wire for the light.

When turning the controller ON or OFF, the output voltage at the canopy wires should also toggle from 120 volts (ON) to 0 volts (OFF). This will confirm if the switch and the canopy module are communicating with each other.