Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am trying to change the light bulb in an outdoor ceiling…

Customer Question
I am trying to change...
I am trying to change the light bulb in an outdoor ceiling fixture. It appears to have a knob underneath that needs to be unscrewed, however when i turn it, it just turns freely. I suspect that the rod is turning freely along with the knob as I turn it. Any ideas on how I can remove the glass cover so I can change the bulb?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/13/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Can you upload a picture of the fixture for review?

Looking at the picture, it appears that it may have a screw head on the upper edge. Can you see any screw heads around the upper edge. Most unusall for it to be stem affixed on an exterior fixture. If not the stem will detach on the base, keep turning it while pulling down.

There are no visible screws. I have tried unscrewing the cap many, many times while applying pressure pulling down hoping that it will unscrew but it seems to be having little effect.

The only other thing you can try is to heat the knob with a propane torch to possibly break it free.

Also try pulling down on the entire fixture, it may be spring held.

This did not fix the issue.

There's nothing more I can suggest so I 'll opt out. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Electrician: NCCPrime,
 replied 2 years ago
NCCPrime

Hello and welcome to the service. Please allow me a few moments to better assist you. Thanks

Electrician: NCCPrime,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello, I will try to help you. Here are a few things Ii would try myself if I had something similar. First, use a plier, pull it towards you and at the same time try to turn it. If that does not work then use the plier to pull it out and using your hand push the fixture up. See whether there is a little space between the fixture and the knob. If there is a little space then you could use something thin like snips or anything similar you have and try to keep the inside threaded piece not moving and at the same time try to unscrew the knob. The other thing I would try is use some DW40. Then try to turn it. Please let me know if it worked out. Good luck

Electrician: NCCPrime,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello again, I am following up to see if you tried what I suggested and how you did

Hi I haven't had a chance to try your steps yet. I will let you know as soon as I can.
Electrician: NCCPrime,
 replied 2 years ago

Sounds good! Good luck!