Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We rewired a bedroom and we jumped the room from an old

Customer Question
outlet we had to use...
we rewired a bedroom and we jumped the room from an old outlet we had to use a 1 1/2" box because it was a shallow wall. This is the plug that holds the jump. The power was working and when I screwed in the shallow outlet box with the outlet the power went out. The tester is now showing no power. What went wrong
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/13/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Well the problem no doubt was caused by a box with not enough room for conductors and device. At best it was only large enough for one cable 14/2 and a receptacle. You should open the box to verify. Let me know what is above and below the room for advise as to what you can do.

bedroom above and kitchen below
the room we are doing is in the finishing touches

You're not going like like this but it is necessary. You need to open the wall and install a Tyco Tap to only have the one cable in the finished box. The Tyco allows for a concealed junction in the wall. They are available at Home Depot.

the main power source is running from old wire that is still code but there is now no power running from them at all. My husband opened everything up and there is no power from the main wires at all.

You must have tried a breaker. Check all breakers. They sometimes look on but if the handle is loose, they're tripped.

I checked all breakers with the tester and all is good

What are you using for a tester?

a Milwaukee vault tester
every breaker was reading 117 to 120
but the main power source that is supposed to feed the whole room is reading zero it is just bear wire now hanging out of the wall we took it all apart

OK, you'll need to test a dead outlet to determine what the problem is. Test as follows;

Hot to neutral

Hot to ground

Neutral to ground

Let me know if you get a voltage reading.

what is the dead outlet? is that one of the plugs we have had hooked up to the main feed

Any receptacle not working.

or is it a plug that was already hooked up and is now dead

Non working outlets.

this is a plug that always worked in the bathroom, we tested and zero is the reading
this one was tied into the bedroom
it is a gfi and when we took it apart the ground was not attached to the box just the outlet

If a bathroom receptacle is on the circuit, check for a tripped GFCI receptacle.

nope already did

You need to follow my instructions on testing. You need to know what we're looking for and testing as instructed will show what the cause is for the problem. Test for voltage as directed and if none, test for continuity neutral to ground.

I need to find everything in the house that is attached to this wiring and test all of them

Pick one ahead of where you installed the box that is closer to the panel and not working.

I am done I will have to call an electrician. It's too much.

Very well, good luck.