Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am working on a 240 volt infrared heater that is 3000

Customer Question
watts. It was installed by...
I am working on a 240 volt infrared heater that is 3000 watts. It was installed by someone else that was not an Electrician. They used nm flexible conduit 12 guage wire from a two pole 20 amp breaker to the rheostat to the heater. The rheostat/control switch burned up wires got hot and the insulation failed. Should this circuit be on a 30 amp two pole breaker with 10 guage wire. I plan to re do this in EMT. Thanks Chris
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/12/2016
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. From your description and question I would check the rating of the switch. A spec grade 20A switch should have been used.

OK it looks like the heater came with a 15A 240v rheostat. My brother in law got a new one and is still only a 15 amp. Why did they sell a 15 amp switch for a 3000 watt heater!?

Why? Can only guess that they don't know what it should be.

OK thanks for the help I should have checked the swich.

Very good, you're welcome.