Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

The genset has a Honda GX620 engine. The alternator head is

Customer Question
a Mecc Alte MR2-200/2 brushless...
The genset has a Honda GX620 engine. The alternator head is a Mecc Alte MR2-200/2 brushless, 12KW surge, 10.2KW continuous. Engine speed checked at 3590-3620 RPM. Capacitors check good. I flashed both capacitors with 12 VDC while running, no output. Substituted two new capacitors, still no output. AC voltage at capacitor leads is 5.5 on one and 0.3 at the other. Replaced diodes on rotor, still no output. All output voltage checks were made at the terminal block before any circuit breakers.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 4 days by:
2/16/2016
Electrician: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has replied with any info to this issue here on this generator.IN some cases this can be due to the info being difficult to obtain or the correct person that may have this info may not be online to help.You may have a wiring fault on the generator or shorted or damaged wiring leading to it causing this fault here.If you have not had the wiring inspected to see if any issues are found this should be done.If this was already done and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I removed the stator assembly for access to rotor. Visual inspection of rotor and stator windings didn't reveal any abnormalities. Resistance check of stator windings were within specs. Resistance check of Rotor windings were within specs. No shorts to ground were detected. It has two exciter windings. One exciter winding was within specs. The other exciter winding showed much higher resistance than specified and readings were inconsistent. Shouldn't it still produce output voltage on one side?

Unfortunately my info is limited on the testing for this model here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a generator not a vehicle so I don't understand what you are answering.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The question is fully explained we need someone that knows about generators that produce electrity so you can use it to turn on elecritic things like a tv or a refrigerator or anything that needs electricity. The generator starts it just doesn't put out voltage. The quiestion is very detailed and it needs to be answered by someone who knows gererators. Thank you pete but you should have given it to someone else sooner we have been waiting for an answer to several days and now my friend is discouraged and needs this generator to help him with building his house out in the woods were there is no eletricity and his last generator was stolen and this is all he can afford at this time so we would really appricate if someone could answer that knows about generators we really need the help. Thankyou.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here is what I was told, it's just a general idea of might be a wiring issue of wome kind. Nothing about what to check next
or further test procedures. He thinks the just answer web site is a dead end. I sugested him to ask you so see if we can get an
answer if its at all posible. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not wome I ment some kind.
Pete, Auto Service Technician