Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Electrican 6+ years
91004775

The gfci outlet does not work when reset button Is on, when

Customer Question

the gfci outlet does not work when reset button Is on, when it is off the outlet works, is this safe?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** i would love to help with this GFCI outlet.

Sometimes GFCI outlets will "feed" other outlets, and when tripped the receptacles down stream will also go dead. Have you noticed if any other receptacles are off when the gfci isnt working?

But typically, a GFCI receptacle will have a "TEST" and "RESET" button. Test will trip the GFCI (turn it off) and Reset will turn it back on. If your GFCI is not behaving like this i reccomend replacing it. They are important to meet code requirements that translate into safety for you and you home.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the other outlet connected also did not work, but when the reset button was turned off it then worked

Has this always been the case or did this just start happening?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only after the electric had a bad 220 line, they then hooked me up temporarily, and today permently, all this time they have not worked, they did work before the line went out.

I would check the wiring on the GFCI. If you have a wire tester we can verify that is correctly done.