Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm having trouble wiring a GFCI plug. I'm reading the post…

Customer Question
Tim, I'm having trouble...

Tim, I'm having trouble wiring a GFCI plug.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I'm reading the post about the GFCI tester showing "open hot". I ran a new line to my bathroom. It's on a single circuit, hot wire (black) to gold, white wire to silver, black wire to breaker white to post. grounded to the plug and in the box. power goes to the plug but can't get the plug to work. a regular plug works, and I've tried two, new, GFCI plugs. nothing... I even to the plug to the box and wired it directly to the box. open hot. what am I doing wrong?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/11/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Double check and confirm that the LINE and LOAD wires are not reversed on the GFCI. The circuit feed hot and neutral wires need to land on the LINE side of the GFCI receptacle. If you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter available, this can easily confirm the LINE side connections.

confirmed that it is on the LINED side. as I said, I even to the plug to the box and wired it directly to at breaker, I get the same reading.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Does the circuit contain any splices in junction boxes along the way or was it installed as a "home run" from the panel to the receptacle box?

2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or better yet, an AC voltmeter to confirm the voltages at the circuit breaker and also at the GFCI LINE side?

no splices, boxes just directly to the receptacle. And, I took a short piece of wire and wired it directly to the box. got the same "hot open". I don't have any other tester, just the GFCI. I wired a regular plug and it works.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Did you plug anything into the GFCI? Does it work and can reset and test properly? Are you using the cube tester just to confirm the wiring at the GFCI?

2) Possible that the 3 prong cube tester is defective or is providing a false reading? Thus the reason to always have an AC voltmeter readily available whenever performing electrical work.

3) Since you temporarily installed a regular receptacle to the breaker and that works, then the breaker is not the problem. Either a defective cube tester or a defective GFCI.

Plug the cube tester into another known working receptacle and confirm if the tester is showing OK on that receptacle.

Mike, Master Electrician