How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ProGrade Your Own Question
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 561
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
ProGrade is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Already entered situation about taking advantage of 3-phase

Customer Question

Already entered situation about taking advantage of 3-phase operation for 220 volt tankless water heater (Rheem RTE27 supplied by two 60-amp circuits already in place). Two supplying 60 amp breakers are separated (on same side of an IDE breaker panel) by two individual 110 volt breakers. Will this supply 3 phase to the RTE27 water heater?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

This panel will not supply 3-phase, it is a single-phase panel.

Additionally, the water heater will not operate on 3-phase, it is a single-phase unit.

If connected according to the picture on double pole breakers it would be correctlying supplied.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just curious...why don't they just supply with a single higher amp circuit?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

In this (and many instances with a heater this size) the single breaker would have to be rated at least 120 amps.

1) There is currently not a 120 Amp Single-Pole Breaker in production

2) Most electrical panels are rated for double-pole breakers no larger than 100 Amp