Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I'm ***** *****. Have Rheem RTE 27 tankless water heater and…

Customer Question
I'm ***** *****. Have...

I'm ***** *****. Have Rheem RTE 27 tankless water heater and have proper wire gauges/breakers for two 60 amp circuits supplying it. My only concern is that I have spaced the two breakers properly to provide 3-phase operation. On the same side of the ITE service panel there are two 110 volt breakers vertically separating the two 220 volt breakers supplying the two RTE27 circuits. Is that good? Can supply photo. Thanks.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

RTE27 worked OK for 2 years then quit. Home Depot has refunded full value of heater and I plan to get another due to the convenience of the wiring and plumbing being in place and ready. I wired it originally without deep analysis of the 3 phase question (have done a lot of wiring, no 3 phase). It worked before...but has occurred to me that I may have sacrificed energy efficiency by possibly not taking advantage of 3-phase configuration (wanted to be sure before installing the new RTE27).

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/11/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Will the water heater be installed in a home or in a commercial building? Is the main service panel a 240V single phase or a 240V 3-phase service?

2) This water heater is for a 240V single phase service.

3) This water heater requires a quantity of (2) two 60 amp double pole circuit breakers.

4) The required conductors for the two 240V circuits are a quantity of (4) four 6 AWG Copper conductors using a THHN insulation rating. The equipment grounding conductor can be sized as 10 AWG Copper, type THHN green insulated or bare copper type.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor