Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

An electrical outlet. Yes thanks. I took down paneling on…

Customer Question
An electrical outlet. Contractor's...

An electrical outlet.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes thanks. I took down paneling on one wall, and the outlet was just hanging there and I wanted to mount it before hanging sheetrock. As I was trying to set up a mount, it sparked and popped once; there is a tiny black smudge on the front of it now. I am afraid to mess with it! This outlet was put in to run an air conditioner; the wires to it are very big and inflexible so I had a lot of trouble with it. it is possible I had a metal tool in my hand while wrangling with it...

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/10/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Prior to removing the paneling, the circuit breaker that controls the receptacle should have been turned OFF to prevent any potential safety issues.

2) Turn the breaker to the OFF position and perform a visual inspection of the conductors. More than likely there is a loose termination or a wire splice came loose that caused the receptacle to arc and pop. Depending upon the conductor and/or receptacle damage, these may or may not be able to be re-used.

3) Send me a picture of the receptacle and wires so I can review and see what kind of damage occurred.