Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

The fuse kitchen keeps blowing
, nothing has changed,

Customer Question
The fuse for my...

The fuse for my kitchen keeps blowing

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Nothing has changed, no new appliances

Contractor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?

It has happened a few other times, but I had replaced the fuse and then it worked for a bit

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/3/2016
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What portion of the kitchen circuit is not working? Lighting or the kitchen countertop receptacles or both?

2) Does your main electrical panel contain individual fuses or circuit breakers? How many amps is the fuse or circuit breaker that is having the problem?

the wall where fridge, stove and microwave is plugged in
electrical panel has individual fuses. 15amp

Thanks for confirming.

1) Most likely the microwave is causing an overload on the circuit as these small appliances can easily consume 1500 watts or more. If the fridge compressor motor kicks in simultaneously while the microwave i running, then a good chance the fuse may blow. If any additional small appliances such as a coffee maker or electric blender are also simultaneously plugged into the same circuit, then even a higher probability the fuse will blow and overload.

2) Microwave ovens are always recommended to reside on their own dedicated circuit, preferably a 20 amp circuit.

3) A 15 amp circuit should not be loaded greater than 1,440 watts or 12 amps.

4) I recommend to temporarily relocate the microwave oven to another circuit and see if this circuit fuse still blows when the microwave is not connected there.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The previous expert is correct as far as the equipment you have on the circuit. You might try using a DETD fuse as a replacement and see if the circuit holds when in use.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician