Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

When I turn on the light in the fan the blubs flash on and

Customer Question

When I turn on the light in the fan the blubs flash on and off. I have changed the blubs, they still flash.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Flickering light bulbs typically indicate a loose connection. Either a loose wire splice connection or the light bulb is not making good contact within the light socket.

2) I suggest to temporarily turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position. Then look inside the light bulb socket and see if the middle tab where the tip of the light bulb is seated against is pushed down. If the tab is pushed downward, get a plastic knife or something that is plastic or wooden and slightly pull the tab upwards so the bulb can make proper contact.

3) If the light socket metal tab is not the cause of the problem, then you have a loose wire connection and the splices at the fan or the wall switch terminations (if applicable) will need to be checked.

4) What type of light bulbs? Incandescent or CFL or LED or Halogen bulbs?

5) Do you have a wall switch? If so, is it a dimmer switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
regular blind with a standard light switch
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply

1) Not sure what a "regular blind" means? Please explain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bulb
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

So an incandescent bulb then, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Check the light bulb socket tab and the splices to the fan light fixture.

2) If the light bulb is constantly flickering and you have an AC voltmeter available, this can confirm if a loose or poor connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the blues are flashing not flickering
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Flashing and Flickering are basically the same thing. The lighting filament is going ON & OFF. Flashing is just a faster rate than flickering.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok , Thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Check the light socket tab and the wire splices. Let me know how you make out and we can take it from there..........Thanks..........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Shown in the picture below is where the middle brass tab is located on a standard Edison based light bulb socket.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

What type of fan do you have? A ceiling fan or an exhaust fan?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) What is the wattage rating of the light and the light bulb wattage that you are using? How many light bulbs?